Traditional house and winery
A great traditional property with winery in Pyrgos village.
The main house is 85sqm with a living room, a dining area, a fully equipped kitchen, a master bedroom, a bathroom and a hallway. Its traditional Cycladic pieces of furniture, give an especial note to each room. The entrance faces the 350 sqm large front yard area, with East-West orientation. The sitting area under the large veranda arch is ideal for morning or afternoon relaxation and the view from the terrace reaches the villages of Fira, Oia and nearby islands. Two warehouses are at the backyard’s area offering adequate storage space for all necessities. Below the main yard there is an old winery of 120sqm. It has the arch built architecture and it contains all traditional winemaking equipment; the barrels, the vessels, the treadle and the tools are genuine, dated from the early 1900’s. The guest house is an autonomous fully furnished studio of 36sqm built with the traditional arch technique. It has a private entrance and consists of kitchenette, bathroom and balcony.
Crescent-shaped Santorini is actually a group of islands consisting of Thíra, Thirassiá, Asproníssi, Palea and Nea Kaméni in the southernmost part of Cyclades. The whole complex of Santorini islands is still an active volcano and probably the only volcano in the world whose crater is in the sea. The islands that form Santorini came into existence as a result of intensive volcanic activity which created a large crater, the famous caldera. Santorini is a world-renowned destination due to its amazing volcanic topography, the romantic setting, the traditional villages and some of the best Greek beaches.
The traditional village of Pyrgos stands at the highest point of the island. It was the capital of Santorini until 1800 and since 1995 has been declared as a “preserved monument”. The main attraction of the village is the Venetian castle, known as “Castelli”, built around 1580. Several churches can be found while walking the cobbled streets of the village with the most important between them the church of “Agia Theodosia” (close to the old entrance of the Castelli), the “Theotokaki” church built in the 10th century (inside the west side of the castle walls), the church of “Eisodion of Theotokou” built around 1660 (at the top of the castle). The traditional alleys engage you to explore the village, giving the visitor the feeling of another era while walking between the remaining and/or renovated old mansions, build in the previous centuries. Easter is very traditional in Pyrgos, where old customs revive, making it more popular. Houses and yards are whitewashed and churches are decorated. A variety of flowers adorn the Epitaph and its procession on Holy Friday passes through the streets which are lightened with small cans that are set along its path. Pyrgos is also famous for its traditional vineyards, the island’s Wine Producers Associations (Santo Wines), the museum of Agia Triada and the Cultural Village which has been constructed the past years and is known as “Santorini of the Past”. Restaurants, Greek “tavernas” and coffee shops with splendid view of the island and the caldera can offer the visitor lunch or dinner, coffee, wine or soft drinks any time of the day.
5.4 km from Fira
5.8 km from the island’s Port
6.7 km from the island’s Airport
45 min daily flights from Athens International Airport
4 hours from Piraeus Port